Thursday, September 27, 2012

Red Velvet Happiness

I've been seeing this recipe all over pinterest that is supposed to make grocery store box cake taste like it came from the bakery. The only time I like box cake is when it's the funfetti kind, other than that, I think it tastes dry and just kinda blah. So, when I saw this recipe I knew I wanted to try and yesterday was the perfect day for it.


I chose to try with my favorite kind of cake, red velvet, of course. The recipe is super simple, the first thing you need to do is just look at the instructions on the back of the box like always. You still follow the same baking temperature and cooking time. The only changes you are going to make are adding and substituting a few things:
  •  Add one additional egg (you can add 2 if you want it to be very rich)
  • Use melted butter instead of oil and double the amount
  • Use milk instead of water



And that's it, just whisk it all together and bake!


It came out to be terribly delicious, it's almost dangerous how good it turned out. The boyfriend and I loved it. I'm probably going to take a lot of it into work today so the two of us don't end up eating it all ourselves. Needless to say, I definitely recommend it.

I posted a picture of the cake all finished and iced on instagram and got a few questions about how I iced it so I'll explain real quick.  I promise it's super easy.

All you have to do is make a line from the middle of the cake to the bottom out of dollops of icing using a piping bag (Since your just basically making big "dots" out of icing a ziplock bag with the corner cut works just fine). Once you've done that, take a spoon and place the tip of the bowl in the middle of one of the dollops and with light pressure pull and drag the icing on that side. Once the you begin to see the color of the cake through the icing stop, that's where you'll place your next colum of dots. Then repeat. Looking something like this..


And here it it all finished!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment